Open-Rank Tenure-Track Professor
The Program in Asian American Studies at Northwestern University invites applications for a full-time, open-rank, and open-field tenure track hire at the Assistant, Associate, or Professor level in Asian American Studies, to begin September 1, 2023. We seek a scholar trained in any humanities or social sciences field but are especially interested in those trained in interdisciplinary programs including Ethnic Studies, Asian American Studies, Pacific Islands Studies, Indigenous Studies, and/or American Studies whose work also addresses the following themes and areas: Asian American/Indigenous Relations; Pacific Islander Diaspora Studies; Arab American Studies/Muslim American Studies; and/or Critical Refugee Studies. This position will be housed in the Council for Race and Ethnic Studies (CRES), the umbrella unit under which the Asian American Studies Program and the Latina & Latino Studies Program sit, within the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences.
Responsibilities include teaching undergraduate students in core and elective courses, advising students including majors and minors, and program building. The position may include the mentoring of graduate students and the possibility of assisting CRES in developing a PhD Program in Ethnic Studies. Preference will be given to interdisciplinary candidates with teaching experience working with diverse student communities. PhD required by the start date.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three (3) references to Northwestern's Faculty Recruiting System. Deadline to submit applicant materials is November 11, 2022. Applicants may be asked for additional materials, including but not limited to a writing sample, a statement of teaching philosophy and experience, teaching evaluations, and sample syllabi.
Inquiries about the position may be sent to Dr. Shalini Shankar, Search Chair, at email@example.com.
Questions about the submission portal should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read ALL instructions and make preparations before proceeding to the application page:
- Applications will only be accepted via online submission (see link below).
- Please prepare all documents in advance as Adobe PDF files, and please be sure all information is entered correctly and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been submitted.
- Please also prepare a list of names and email addresses for your external academic references; later in the search process your references may be contacted by the online system and invited to upload their letters on your behalf.
- All required fields in the application form are marked with an asterisk and must be filled before clicking the "Submit" button.
- Be aware that incomplete applications cannot be saved.
Applications accepted here.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encourages to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States. For more information, please see the University’s Policy on Discrimination and Harassment .Back to top